I still remember how I used to rush along with my friends to have Vegetable Noodles outside our hostel during my engineering days. That was the time when I developed a taste for Indo-Chinese food and this prompted my Mom to attempt making it at home. Being the seasoned cook that she is, it was not a surprise when the attempt was highly successful and since then she makes it occasionally. I can vouch for the fact that this Vegetable Noodles recipe will satiate your taste buds even better than most restaurants and it is a must try for all Indo-Chinese food lovers which I know exist in abundance. 🙂
- Noodles – 300 gms.
- Onions – 1 cup, sliced in thin and long strips
- Spring Onions – 1 cup, sliced in thin and long strips
- Green Beans – 1 cup, finely chopped in a slant (This is just for an attractive look. Cut it the way you are comfortable if not this way but just ensure it is thin)
- Carrots – 1 cup, sliced in thin and long strips
- Cabbage – 1 and 1/2 cups, sliced in thin and long strips
- Capsicum – 1/2 cup, sliced in thin and long strips with seeds removed
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Ajinomoto – 1/2 teaspoon
- White Vinegar – 3 tablespoons
- Soya Sauce – 3 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 4 tablespoons
Servings: 3-4 persons
Preparation Time: 30 mins.
Cooking Time: 10 – 15 mins.
Break the noodles roughly couple of times. Boil 2 litres of water in a large vessel.
Once the water is boiled, add little salt as per quantity of the noodles, add 1 teaspoon oil (this prevents the noodles from sticking together) and then add the noodles. Cook for few minutes till noodles are soft. Noodles should not get over cooked or mushy so keep checking on them.
Once noodles is cooked, drain all the water and pour cold water on noodles to cool them. Keep noodles aside and toss them up and down from time to time (around 2-3 times) to prevent them from getting sticky.
Now add remaining oil in a wok/pan/kadhai and heat oil. Then stir fry all the vegetables for few seconds on high flame. The vegetables should be added in this order – onions, carrots, beans, cabbage, capsicum and spring onions. Add salt and do not fry the vegetables for long. They should be just cooked enough for them to retain shape and the crunch.
Add the cooked vegetables to the noodles. Add all the remaining ingredients and toss well.
Lip-smacking vegetable noodles is ready. Serve hot with tomato ketchup or chilly sauce.