This recipe of Scotch Eggs is the 2nd Runner Up recipe in our 4 Year celebration baking contest. This was submitted to us by Priya Bhati from United States. She has an innate passion for cooking and keeps making a variety of dishes. With Easter round the corner and kids hearing all about egg hunt and egg decoration, she decided to try these activities in her kitchen too. Scotch Eggs are simple to prepare and rich in proteins. They can be served as it is as snacks or with salad and dinner rolls to complete the meal.
- Ground Turkey/ Chicken/ Sausages – 400 gms. (washed and moisture drained completely)
- Boiled Eggs – 5 (Cold and peeled)
- Poultry seasoning – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg Powder – Pinch (optional)
- Beaten egg – 1
- Flour – 1/4 cup
- Bread Crumbs – 1/2 cup
Servings: 5 Persons
Preparation Time: 15 mins.
Cooking Time: 10 mins.
1. In case you are using sausages, remember they are pre-spiced so you might not have to add any seasoning to it.
2. Poultry seasoning can be replaced by salt, black pepper, black salt and cumin powder (1/4 tsp of each). Garlic powder can be replaced by crushed garlic( 2 cloves) and salt to taste.
In a mixing bowl, mix the ground meat of your choice with poultry seasoning, garlic powder and nutmeg powder.
Roll the egg on the flour and then cover the egg completely with the ground meat mixture. Rolling the egg into the flour eases the spreading of meat on the egg. Repeat for all the eggs.
Roll each meat covered egg in the beaten egg and then in the bread crumbs. Then place all the eggs on the baking tray.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180 C for 10 – 12 Mins. or until brown and crispy.
Scotch Eggs are ready. Serve hot or cold as per your liking with a chutney of your choice.
2 thoughts on “Scotch Eggs”
What is poultry seasoning consist of? we dont get it in India, so whats the alternative to that?
Hey Tamanna, under notes, point number 2 mentions what you can replace poultry seasoning with.