Schezwan Cauliflower is a treat for Indo-Chinese lovers. Cornflour gives the cauliflower a crunch and the mix of the various sauces used while preparing the gravy add an extra punch to this deliciously savory dish. Usually, the recipes that you will find on the internet for Schezwan Cauliflower would have the cauliflower deep fried. However, in our version of the dish, we do not deep fry but blanch the cauliflower instead making it a healthier option without compromising on the taste.
- Cauliflower florets – 1 cup
- Chopped Onions (small square shaped) – 1/2 cup
- Chopped Spring onion and greens – 1/2 cup
- Cornflour – 1 tablespoon(heap)
- Soya sauce – 1 and 1/4 tablespoons
- Schezwan sauce – 1 teaspoon
- Schezwan chutney – 1 teaspoon
- Vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger, finely chopped – 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic, finely chopped – 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilly, slit length-wise – 2
- Ajinomoto – 1 pinch
- Roasted sesame seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
Preparation Time: 15 mins.
Cooking Time: 10 mins.
Servings: 2 persons
Cook cauliflower with little salt in one-fourth cup of water. It should be blanched so that it is cooked but remains firm. If some water remains from this step, do not throw it.
Heat oil in a pan. Add onions, spring onions(keep little spring onion greens aside for garnishing), garlic, ginger, green chillies and a little salt. Sauté for a minute.
Add cauliflower and mix gently on low flame.
Mix cornflour in two tablespoons of water (use the water which was used for cooking cauliflower if there is any left) and add to the pan.
Now add schezwan sauce, schezwan chutney, soya sauce, vinegar and ajinomoto. Mix well.
Check the consistency of the gravy and adjust with water if desired. Switch off the gas stove. Transfer the dish to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped spring onion greens and roasted sesame seeds.
Schezwan Cauliflower is ready. Serve hot with chinese fried rice or noodles.