Our Guest Chef, Mandavi Jaiswal, is a popular blogger who resides in Mumbai. Her kids have a sweet tooth and she is guilty of having one too, hence she has taken to baking at home for satisfying her family’s cravings in a healthier manner. In all her recipes, she uses whole wheat flour instead of refined maida and jaggery instead of refined sugar. She has shared with us her recipe of Chocolate Chip Cookies which looks so tempting that we are planning to try it right away.
- Whole wheat flour – ¾ cup
- Baking Powder – 1/3 teaspoon
- Baking Soda – a pinch
- Salt – 1/8 teaspoon
- Canola or Olive Oil – 1/3 cup
- Dark brown Jaggery – ¼ cup
- Egg – 1
- Chocolate bar – ½ cup
- Vanilla essence – ¼ teaspoon
- White sugar – 2 teaspoon (Optional)
- Cinnamon powder – ½ teaspoon (Optional)
Servings: A dozen cookies
Preparation Time: 20 mins.
Baking Time: 8 mins.
- Always sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon powder together. This adds air and fluffiness to the cookies.
- You can substitute the jaggery with brown sugar, it’s just that jaggery is more readily available at home.
- The small amount of white sugar helps the cookie spread well while baking.
Scrape the jaggery into small pieces using a knife.
Cut the chocolate bar into medium size chunks. You can also use ready-made chocolate chunks but the cookie tastes better with bigger chunks of chocolate.
Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt as stated in Notes.
Pour the oil, jaggery, sugar and vanilla essence into another bowl. Break the egg and mix slightly with a spoon. Do not use a blender.
Now mix the dry and wet ingredients together by stirring evenly with a spoon.
Roll the dough into a small lemon size ball and keep the surface rough.
Grease the baking tray with oil and place the balls about 2 inches apart. Do not flatten the balls as the cookie will spread and flatten while baking.
Preheat the oven and bake at 160 degrees C for 8 mins.
Take the cookies out of the oven immediately to avoid getting burnt at the bottom.
The cookies may appear a bit soft but they will harden on cooling down.
Your homemade whole wheat & jaggery chocolate chip cookies are ready. Store them in an airtight container.
Chocolate chip cookies would be an ideal snack to have with your evening tea/coffee. It is also a great idea to carry them while traveling.